A 13-year-old girl is brought to the GP because of a sore throat. She has fever and has not been eating due to the pain, although she is tolerating fluids for the past 2 days. She has no other related symptoms such as a cough or a rash. She is penicillin allergic. Observations: respiratory rate 19, oxygen saturations 99% on room air, heart rate 100/min, blood pressure 120/70mmHg, temperature 38.5ºC. Auscultation of the chest is unremarkable. On examination of the mouth, her tonsils are covered in exudate bilaterally. Her neck is tender when palpated. Examination of the ears is unremarkable.
In addition to supportive measures what is the most appropriate management step?
- A) Urgent admission to hospital
- B) Phenoxymethylpenicillin 500mg QDS for 10 days
- C) Clarithromycin 500mg BD for 5 days
- D) No antibiotics indicated
- E) Metronidazole 400mg TDS for 7 days